"Shrove" is NOT the Aramaic word for pancake...
To dispel the humorous assertion that “Shrove” is the Aramaic word for “pancake” (those who attended our Pancake Supper will understand), we’ve done a little research.
Traditionally, Shrove Tuesday is the day that Christians confess all of their sins, before Lent commences the next day, on Ash Wednesday. The word shrove is a form of the English word shrive, which means to obtain absolution for one's sins by way of Confession and doing penance. Thus, Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the custom for Christians to be "shriven" before the start of Lent. On Shrove Tuesday, Anglo-Saxon Christians went to confession and were "shriven" (absolved from their sins). A bell would be rung to call people to confession. This came to be called the “Pancake Bell” and is still rung today.
Eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday derives from a British custom. Traditionally, Lent is a time of fasting, and Shrove Tuesday (called Pancake Day or Fat Tuesday) was a day for using up food that could not be eaten during Lent. It was the last opportunity to use up eggs, lard, butter and sugar. Pancakes are the perfect way of using up these ingredients.
First and foremosts...
1. This Sunday is STOREHOUSE SUNDAY and we're collecting canned proteins, diapers (sizes 2-3-4), baby food, cash and checks (payable to Hope) to be donated to The Storehouse.
2. This Sunday is YOUTH SUNDAY when Hope Youth will act as ushers/usherettes, readers and leaders of the Prayers of the People during the service. REMEMBER, we need volunteers to lead our Youth Group starting with the Fall 2017 school year. Anyone interested should contact Cindy Perner at 857-0800.
3. Men's Monthly Fellowship & Bible Study will meet on Tuesday Mar 07 from 6:15 PM to 8:00 PM for dinner, fellowship and bible study in the Adrienne Perner Visiting Center. Meal cost is $5.00. Sign up sheet is in the entry hall.
4. Lenten Soup Supper & Teaching: Generosity Part I -- How God's Radical Grace Makes Us Givers in All Areas of our Lives -- meets on Wednesday Mar 08 (6:00 PM for supper and 7:00 PM for the teachings). Sign up to attend, to handle setup & cleanup and/or to bring a crockpot of soup or salad & dressings or bread & butter.
5. Hope for the Hungry -- The Rock -- we're scheduled to serve lunch to the homeless and less fortunate in our community at The Rock at Noonday on Friday Mar 10 at 11:00 AM.
6. Hope Neighborhood Food Drive -- volunteers needed to deliver flyers to our neighbors on Tuesday Mar 07 and Wednesday Mar 08. Volunteers also needed to be on-site at Hope on Saturday Mar 11 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM to greet donors and offer information about Hope. For more information or to volunteer with this exciting endeavor, contact Sheri Miller at 228-3250.
7. Caregivers is still looking for some items for one of our parishioners: twin headboard, sheet set and mattress pad, dresser, and microwave safe dishes. If you are able to help, contact Dotty Ruthven at 270-1332.
8. Lent and Easter Schedule found on attached document...
Our regular programming...
1. Eucharist this Sunday Mar 05 at 10:00 AM
-- Youth Group meets at 9:00 AM downstairs in Classroom D
-- Children's Sunday School meets at 9:45 AM downstairs in Classroom E.
2. Weekly Bible Study (David: More than a Conqueror) meets Tuesday Mar 07 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM in the Adrienne Perner Visiting Center.
3. Prayer Group meets each Wednesday from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM downstairs in Classroom A.
4. AA Open Step Study meets each Wednesday from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM downstairs in Classroom B.
5. Rehearsals: Women of the Gospel Witness Jesus
-- Sunday Mar 05: 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM -- Act I (all women)
-- Sunday Mar 12: 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM -- Act II, Scene IV
-- Sunday Mar 12: 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM -- Act II, Scene III
6. 2017 Bible Challenge:
-- Mar 06 (Psalm 46)
-- Mar 07 (Psalm 47)
-- Mar 08 (Psalm 48)
-- Mar 09 (Psalm 49)
-- Mar 10 (Psalm 50)
See you Sunday !!
Hope+in+the+Desert is an intergenerational, Christ-centered community that welcomes everyone, no matter where you are in your spiritual search. I trust that you will feel God's joyful presence in our church and in its people.
Fr. Dan Tuton, Rector
Holy Eucharist, 10:00am
Children's Sunday School, 9:45AM
Youth Group, 9:00AM (Classroom D)
Child care provided
Hope In The Desert, Episcopal Church
8700 Alameda Blvd. NE (Hope Plaza)
Albuquerque, NM 87122
Office: (505) 830-0572
Fax: (505) 821-3116
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:30am-2:30pm